Thursday, December 12, 2013

I AM MY FATHER'S SON

I AM an artist... I AM an author... I AM a student of whakapapa… 
I AM a keeper of the knowledge... I AM Tamanuhiri... I AM Maori... and I AM my fathers son... Today is my fathers birthday (Happy Birthday Dad R.I.P). I was born to tell the stories of our fore-fathers... THIS IS WHO I AM. I love to share what knowledge I have... I love to take people on a journey... through their own minds... into battle... into the ancient hangi pits... across the oceans of adventure... beyond the hearts of passion... and through the pages of time to see who we are... this is my fathers story...


My father Mataiata... was a carpenter, a shearer, a shepherd & a soldier. He spent a few years chasing the desert fox around Egypt… luckily... he came back.
His father Te Huauri was a farmer & soldier… he fought in the First World War and luckily... he came back.
His father was Mokiterangi... a significant land owner & a bushman up around Kopua.
His father was Eruera Pohatu... a prominent witness in the Maori Land Courts.
His father was Ihaka Ngarangioue and he was born during the small-pox epidemic.
His father was Tuhene... a chief from Te Mahia.
His father was Meke who met Captain Cook and was given a bag of potato.
His father was Te Rakato... a fighting chief of the Ngai Tahupo.
His father was Te Huki... the owner of a huge net that stretched the length of the coast.
His father was Tureia... a great priest & carver from Ngati Rakaipaaka.
His father was Tamatea-ahirau... a fighting chief from Nuhaka.
His father was Tu Te Kanao... a fighting chief from Moumoukai.
His father was Kaukohea... who helped move his whanau from Turanga to Nuhaka.
His father was Rakaipaaka who had a war over a dog.
His father was Kahukuranui... who had a great battle in Turanga.
His father was the great KAHUNGUNU a very impressive 7 foot giant from the north.
His father was TAMATEA POKAI WHENUA a great explorer.
His father was RONGOKAKO who he had a giant Kiwi as a pet...
His his father was TAMATEA ARKINUI... captain of TAKITIMU WAKA

These are the footprints of my forefathers... these are my footprints... and this is me... tenei au... tenei au... te hokai nei o taku tapuwae... ko te hokai nuku... ko te hokai rangi... MAURIORA

No comments: